Jessica Mae: Cakes Cakes Cakes

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cakes Cakes Cakes

What a great Christmas break! So sad that it had to end so quickly. Also, sad to say we are back in Utah. I'm NOT a fan of the snow and probably won't ever be. That is what we came back to. It was freezing! We walked into apartment last night and it was an ice box. Come on, I'm a beach girl and I live off the sun! I think Utah is beautiful during the Summer, but Winters to me are miserable...

Anyways, I could go on and on complaining, but I wanted to share my wedding cakes I've made. I have only made two, but love them both! I made my first wedding cake this past October for D's brother's wedding. First time with fondant, first time making 3 big layers, and overall just my FIRST TIME! 
{Side note: my dream job is to own a bakery}
So I have baked a lot of goods, but I really wanted to see if I could do this whole wedding cake thing. Never took a class of any kind...Never thought it would be easy, but good grief I thought I was crazy once agreeing to it and did I plan it all wrong. I made everything, down to the cake, fondant, icing, and decorations the day of when I had to bring it. Traveled 4 hours with it! There was definitely some hair pulling and tears throughout this day. THANKFULLY it all came together and looked great! Here is the October wedding cake...

 Before...

Definitely needed my caffeine for that day...



After...





I then got another request to do a wedding cake in North Carolina. Exactly when I was going to be there! It was perfect. They did more of a beachy theme. I was super excited to do a beach cake! This time I wasn't going to do fondant, I was going to use a homemade butter-cream frosting. I've used butter-cream before, but again never on something like this. My mom helped a lot with showing me how to make the frosting smooth. Didn't want it completely smooth just because of the look I was going for. This cake I was impressed with. Another stressful day, but not as bad as the first one. But here it is!










There they are! We used real shells on the cake and I made chocolate ones. I'll do another post showing how I made those! Stay warm!

16 comments:

  1. Those are so pretty!! And props to you on making those. Making pretty cakes is hard work. I love the beach theme cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Great and yummy!!! Happy new year.

    Kids Games

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are seriously talented! I wish I could make such beautiful cakes. I found your blog through the blog hop and I'm your newest follower!

    Check out my blog and follow me back!

    Phylicia
    http://heartsncraftsboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you have some serious talent! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. in love with the starfish one! I wish I could do this!!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing cakes! i totally wish i was that talented.

    newest follower from i love my post blog hop.

    amanda kate @ www.raspberrybeige.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome! I wish I can make cakes like that!

    sherriamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok...that cake is "pin" worthy! Truly unique:) New to your blog and glad to have found your creative spot on the web:) enjoy your day!

    chandra
    astylishlittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I followed you through the "I Love my Post" blog hop! So glad I found your blog, i'm a new follower :) Come follow back if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely cake ideas! I am so impressed with these lovely photos. Even for my own wedding day, I want to add the chic ideas from pinterest. It is not an easy thing to plan the wedding on your own but I am sure that I would be able to have success. We just booked one of the prettiest wedding venues from an online portal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I love them! I read every single one and I try to reply to all of them :)